News:

A section of Hukuki Net - Turkish Law site in English Language (Ingilizce Hukuk, Ingilizce Kanunlar, mevzuat ve ingilizce hukuk forumu)

Main Menu

Turkish Divorce

Started by Badiabdancer, October 21, 2007, 03:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badiabdancer

I am an American and have been engaged to a Turkish man for over a year. I recently received a copy of his divorce papers from my lawyer, this was filed in the fiance visa packet. It states he "from time to time was using physical force against her, which was heard by their neighbors". My fiance stated it is not easy to get a divorce in Turkey and the lawyer wrote this so they would quickly be granted a divorce even though it is not true.
My questions:
1. Would they include a statement like this without evidence like police reports, were there really witnesses or is this hearsay.
2. How can I do an equivalent 'background search' like I can do in the U.S. on a Turkish Citizen? The Embassy requires a police certificate, but I really don't want to wait any longer.
3. They were married 12/4/2000, there was a baby born 12/9/2001, it said he "quitted home" 12/1/2002 then there is a virtual separation period of 1 year? What is this? He told me he moved out after a few months and it isn't his child.
Thank you, this is really important.

Av.Duygu Tekay

Did your fiance divorce in Turkey?

If it is yes and your questions;

1-In Turkish legal system doesn't want to police report on divorce cases.
2- We dont know how you  can realize "search his background". It is related your country rule.
3-"a virtual separation period of 1 year" means that ; he abondoned his family.

And in Turkey when a child born in marriage period; parties are parents of  this child.

If he isn't his child; this situation must be proved.

Azhar

Quote from: Badiabdancer on October 21, 2007, 03:00:38 AM
I am an American and have been engaged to a Turkish man for over a year. I recently received a copy of his divorce papers from my lawyer, this was filed in the fiance visa packet. It states he "from time to time was using physical force against her, which was heard by their neighbors".
This is obvious. He beat his wife so hard and often that it was heard outside the house by his neighbors!!  Don't be a fool. Avoid this brute and liar at all costs. 

Turkey is a traditional society where men are protected far more than women. To even get the neighbors to make such a statement against him, the beatings must have been very brutal.  Also, it is very easy for men to divorce women in Islamic societies.  So, he is lying about that too.

He desperately wants an American wife and an American Visa. He will tell you anything and even treat you nicely just to get the fiancee visa.

In the USA, a background check reveals a lot of information because all criminal and civil court records are public information. Some companies specialize in gathering this information from courthouses all over the country and putting it into one convenient database. For example: Background Check & Search includes: Current phone number, address, address history for 30 years, age, birthdates, household members, relatives, associates, property ownership, lawsuits, marriage, divorce, criminal records check, sex offenders, terrorist watch, bankruptcy, tax liens.

You will not have access to all of this information in Turkey because not all of their civil and criminal records are public information.  Consider yourself very lucky that you got a copy of his divorce papers.

admin

Quote from: Azhar on February 13, 2008, 02:14:14 PM
Turkey is a traditional society where men are protected far more than women. To even get the neighbors to make such a statement against him, the beatings must have been very brutal.  Also, it is very easy for men to divorce women in Islamic societies. 
You have insufficient knowledge about Turkish Republic regulations. According to laws, women equal to men and It's so difficult to divorce...
Please read:http://en.hukuki.net/index.php/topic,33.0.html

JONATHAN REED

Yes the absentia law becomes available to a person after their partner has been gone for a year. So in this case your son would not need to find his wife to sign the papers. His lawyer should be able to file all the neccesary paperwork