News:

A section of Hukuki Net - Turkish Law site in English Language (Ingilizce Hukuk, Ingilizce Kanunlar, mevzuat ve ingilizce hukuk forumu)

Main Menu

Divorce and Separation

Started by Av.Duygu Tekay, April 15, 2007, 04:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Av.Duygu Tekay

Q. What is a "spouse?"
A. A "spouse" is a husband or wife.

Q. Where do I start a divorce?
A. In the Family  Court of the county where you or your spouse live.

Q. Do I need a lawyer?

A. Only you can decide that. Think how difficult the divorce will be. If you think that your spouse will not fight the divorce and that there are no other complicated or contested issues like child custody, child support, or an order of protection,

Q. Will the court appoint a lawyer for me free of charge if I want one?
A. Court-appointed lawyers are usually not available for divorces.

Q. I was served with divorce papers more than a year ago and haven't heard anything since. Am I divorced?
A. Check with the County Clerk's Office where you sued. I think you did not divorce with your spouse.

Q. Can I go back to my maiden name after the divorce?
A. Yes, but you have to ask for it in your court papers.

Q. Can I change my children's last name in the divorce?
A. No.

Q. How can I look at my divorce case file?
A. You can ask to do this at the County Clerk's Office.

katie573

Good evening Tekay!

I would like to ask where in Ankara i can found lawyer?
I want finished divorcing process...my husband allready divorced here in Finland in January this year. Court deside im single parenthood and my husband should pay to his doughter every month. He havent pay nothing. Also can i ask money for myself we have been married in Turkey  4 years.  Im very thxfully for your answers !!!
God bless you and your family!!!

helplinelaw

what is a process & Documents need a Divorce in TURKISH LAWS.
Law Firm lawyers Helplinelaw.com

alanf

Nice Q&A post, I think I can help out with Katie's question.  I would recommend threatening your husband with legal action before you start hiring lawyers, an international issue like yours will probably take a lot of time and money to work out with lawyers.

- www.dadsdivorce.com

tepal

Dear Tukay,
I am a Bulgarian citizen , a woman,married for a Turkish citizen.We have been married since January 24th,2007.We married in Turkey,but of course our marriage was immediately legalized in Bulgaria too.
My husband has Bulgarian id card-a temporary residence permit on the grounds he has been married to a Bulgarian citizen.It expires in the middle of January,2012.It is his fourth permit.
I also have a residence permit,my first,which expires on November 22th,2011.
Anyway,my husband wants to divorce with me.The reason,according to him,is that I have started job on Sep.1st here in Bulgaria.I started this job as it was impossible for me to work in Turkey.I am an English teacher,and I have to pass a special exam there KPSS, as far as I remember. So i asked him whether to start searching for job in Bulgaria,as our financial status was very bad,I have some important expenses in Bulgaria ,as mortgage and so on,and my husband also have some huge debts in Turkey.That's why I wanted just for a year to work in Bulgaria,while we overcome these financial difficulties.At first he agreed ,but later,when  I have already accepted the job and signed a contract,he started accusing me I have separated him by purpose,which is not true.
Anyway now he wants to divorce.We don't have any children,I have one from a previous marriage and I have the parental rights.The child is not adopted by my husband.
So,one of my questions is:
Do I have right to ask for an alimony and what could be its amount?
I'd appreciate if you answer my question as soon as possible.
Thank you in advance.